Protect Your Art Studio from Fire
Equipment and Facilities
- Install and maintain smoke alarms, fire extinguishers, sprinklers, etc.
- Consider escape ladders if your residence or studio space has more than one level.
- Insulate chimneys and place spark arresters on top. Chimneys should rise at least three feet higher than your roof. Long Term Project Financial Investment
- Place heaters at least three feet away from flammable materials. Make sure the floor and adjacent walls are properly insulated. Inspect all heating units.
- Make sure windows are not painted or nailed shut.
- Make a fire safety plan; PRACTICE IT.
- Properly mark and know the location of all exits (including windows); put an escape map near doors.
- Clean out storage areas. Do not let trash accumulate.
- Be extremely careful when using and storing flammable liquids.
- Do not overload extension cords and outlets. Make sure the insulation on these cords doesn’t touch bare wiring. Inspect cords for exposed wires and loose plugs.
- Ask your local fire department to conduct a safety inspection. Needs an Expert