As with floods, earthquakes are not covered by your business, homeowners, or renters policy and must be purchased separately. The cost varies depending on:
- How close you are to a fault
- Construction of your building
- Whether or not you have retrofitted your building to minimize earthquake damage
You must have a business, homeowners, or renters policy in order to purchase this insurance.
- is purchased through the company that sold you your other policy
- is not designed to cover all losses, but to put a roof over your head.
- can provide coverage for temporary housing while your building is being repaired
- does not cover any losses already covered by your business or homeowners insurance
- does not cover floods even if they were caused by an earthquake (you must have flood insurance to cover that)
- covers buildings and contents separately
- covers homes and businesses separately
- kicks in after you have satisfied the deductible