- Do not endanger your own, your family’s, or your helpers’ health or safety.
- Do not enter areas or buildings that have been designated off-limits by emergency authorities, or buildings that may not be structurally sound.
- Do not enter if you’re not up-to-date with tetanus shots.
- What are the types of hazardous materials and conditions (explosive, nuclear, biological, or chemical contamination) that I could encounter either from the disaster or from substances in the studio?
- Consult local emergency authorities about other possible contamination risks.
- Do I (and others helping) have the right protective gear to prevent exposure to contamination or dangerous substances?
- Are there other health or safety issues?
People with medical conditions — especially respiratory problems or impaired immunity — that could be aggravated by exposure to smoke, soot, ash, or mold or extreme temperatures/high humidity should not participate in cleanup operations.