1. Assemble and put on protective gear, and never work alone.
2. Photograph or videotape the damage.
3. Make a rough estimate of the nature and severity of the damage to the building and contents based on the scale of the disaster. Note this information in your assessment:
4. Handle materials and objects as little as possible during your assessment; move items only after items have been inspected.
5. Report damage to your insurance agent, building owner, and/or other authorities; keep a log of emails/conversations
6. Repeat if conditions change.