Government + Volunteer Agencies

There are lots of government agencies and nonprofits dedicated to providing relief and recovery when disaster hits. Here's how to find what's available in your area.

Where do I start?


First, look local. Shelters will be made available. Call the Red Cross or Salvation Army. Or talk with their people, if you see them at the shelter or at temporary command headquarters.

Help may also come from organizations such as the United Way, Catholic Charities or United Jewish Appeal. These agencies often supply small cash grants — for food, clothing, shelter, monthly bills, planning, counseling, and sometimes relocation costs. (See contact information below).

To find out what agencies are helping, visit FEMA’s website, call your local or state office of emergency management, contact local charities, and/or look at local media (newspapers, radio, TV).




1-800-733-2767 (Disaster Services & Emergency Assistance hotline)


1-800-725-2769 (This is the central number. The operator will provide contact information for the chapter closest to the caller)

1-800-659-2955 (Disaster Loan Hotline)

or 1-800-827-5722 (Help Desk Hotline)


Including the self-employed.