Self-Care + Your Studio Practice
CERF+ and WELLNESS FOR MAKERS ARTISTS’ HEALTH + WELLNESS SURVEY
Did You Know?
- 41% of artists suffer from chronic pain
- 31% said that arthritis or joint pain affect the amount and type of work that they do
- 64% report that they have injured themselves in the studio
- A majority spend at least 50% of their time sitting while making their art
- 62% perform physically challenging or laborious activities to make their art
- 24% have been injured while lifting a heavy object in relation to their studio practice
- 52% experience lower back pain
- 50% experience neck pain
- 41% experience wrist pain
- 88% work in their studio 3-4 hours without a break
CERF+ and Wellness for Makers’ Artists’ Health and Wellness Survey, March 2017. More than 300 artists from different craft disciplines responded.
Neck and Shoulder Strain
Standing in Your Studio
A session with Loren Abbate, a printmaker and co-curator of Deep Space Gallery, addresses the common issues that artists experience in their hands as a result of excessive phone and computer usage.
The mission of Wellness for Makers is to motivate and empower artists through education and mindful living. Wellness for Makers was created to make self-care, stretching, and massage techniques more accessible to artists everywhere. We strive to make it easy to find good resources, including interviews, articles, videos, and links to valuable organizations. Our workshops provide hands-on training in stretching and massage techniques that are easy to incorporate into an artist’s daily studio routine. These techniques are designed to help boost energy levels, alleviate pain, reduce the risk of injury, and improve posture. We collaborate with artists who have professional backgrounds in yoga, ergonomics, massage therapy, occupational therapy, and more, to provide a range of perspectives. We believe that by working together as a community, we can create more productive and sustainable studio practices that improve the longevity of our hands and bodies. For more information, contact [email protected].