Wildfires are already affecting the western U.S. this year. It’s time to access your wildfire risk and be Wildfire Ready!
Know Your Wildfire Risk
• Use the U.S. Forest Service’s Wildfire Hazard Potential Map Viewer to see the historic likelihood of wildfire in your area and this map for current wildfire dangers
• Be aware that wildfires can occur anytime of year, but most occur from June to October
Prepare Your Home and Studio
• Enclose all eaves – the parts of a roof that meet or overhang the walls of the building.
• Use fire-resistant siding and safety-glass windows and doors.
• Use non-combustible materials for your roof.
• Create a safety zone of at least 30 feet around your studio and home, by removing and reducing highly flammable vegetation.
• Remove debris from places close to structures.
Plan for Evacuation or Stay Put
Have an Emergency Supply Kit
- Include at minimum: food and water, flashlight, battery-powered or hand-crank NOAA weather Radio, extra batteries, first aid kit, medications, copies of vital personal and business documents and contacts and extra cash
Protect Your Assets and Plan for Resilience